Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Aug 2007 13:27:58 -0700
From:         Stephen DeMocko <SDeMocko@FDSMFG.COM>
Subject:      Seat belt light

Volks,

I have a weird electrical gremlin in my '85 automatic Westy. After checking the archives two possible solutions were suggested, but I'll get to that.

My problem is the seat belt light coming on intermittently. I don't know if it is related but when it has come on it has always been hot out like 95 deg. The light usually is a degree or two less intense in brightness, like ¾ bright and sometimes flickering. Sometimes but not always the coolant idiot light will flicker on, even thought the analog needle is dead middle. The seat light tends to come on while I am stopped waiting for the light to change. So there may or may not be a relation with stepping on the breaks. With the seat belt light on I have tried to douse it by jiggling the seat belt connection, disconnecting it and reattaching, removing my foot and pumping the breaks, and putting on and taking off the emergency break light, even though the e-break light does not illuminate. Not usually to any avail. It goes out when accelerating after the light changes. I don't have the AC on. The seat belt relay seams to be operating correctly, it buzzes for a few seconds until it times out or I get the drivers side seat belt attached. I must admit to not paying close attention to it though. The Archive suggests I replace the seat belt relay or maybe the electrical portion of the ignition switch. I have already replaced the ignition switch about a year ago. Does anyone know, one where the seat belt relay buzzer is located? Two what the VW part number would be? Three where I would purchase that animal, probably a dealer item? Has anyone experience the same electrical phenomenon? Thanks for your time and consideration.

Stephen DeMocko

('85 Westy Luci)