Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Aug 2007 19:13:36 -0600
From:         Paul Chubbuck <paul@TAKINGFLIGHT.NET>
Subject:      Dometic mystery ....more clues!

I've been bench testing my Dometic for several days and have found something very interesting.

The problem has been that it is often very hard to light and also sometimes spontaneously goes out, even after hours or days of running successfully and when all is stable and the van is not moving. Actually, it lights easily, but only stays lit a few seconds. Then I must pump a whole lot and can light it again, only to have it go out again in a few seconds.

ON the bench, I have been running it with the vent parts E and F installed (see drawing at http://www.takingflight.net/images/fluevent.pdf ) and all runs fine. I have mounted a mirror so that I can clearly see the flame through the little window in the combustion box. Flame is strong and steady. I add part C and all is still well. Then I add the outer vent, part B, and within seconds, the flame becomes unsteady and I can hear a distinct sound of the flame fluttering. It was silent before. Then, within 10 seconds, it consistently goes out.

I also tried adding only the outer vent, part B, leaving C uninstalled, and the flame remained lit.

I must add that the vent parts are not damaged or distorted and, as far as I can tell, the chimney and intake pipe are also in good condition. I have done the cork and blow test and ascertained that the combustion system is very nearly perfectly sealed, enough to make your cheeks bulge when you blow on it.

Only after the whole system gets good and hot will it tolerate the outer vent parts B and C being installed and still run stably.

I have measured the pressure, right at what it should be..11" inches of water.

Any idea what is causing it to blow out?

Paul Chubbuck

Fort Collins