Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Aug 2007 19:23:45 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Trip report. Okanagon B.C. (Long, but some tips)
Comments: To: wet <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

Hi all.

This turned out to be a bit lengthy, but info might be useful to some.

TECH:

First off, aside from a few things breaking, am happy to say that head temps stayed below 400F the whole time, and Dometic worked well when it stayed lit. It was really windy on way home, but overall van a joy to drive. Saw some great country, and even though it was high 80's - 100+ (inside van while driving anyways) it was nice at night. Made myself this:

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil/iWeb/Site%205/FridgeVentPics.html

which seemed to keep flame on in Dometic when driving, er ploughing, through really windy conditions.

WHAT I SAW/DEALS:

I saw some great scenery along hwy 5a aka "Old Merrit Highway". Worth taking even just for the slower pace. (especially for us "air heads") I took #3 (Hope/Princeton) to Merrit then 5a. Really great to see the difference in terrain comparing the tree studded hills of Princeton-Merrit section to the Merrit-Kamloops section. The latter being typical of OK area. Always seems to me that the hills look like they're covered in a wool blanket.

There are a few provincial sites along the way to Merrit. One spot worth noting: Allison Lake:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/allison.html

north of Princeton B.C. Lake parking across the hwy, and sites on other side. Was really NOT busy when I viewed it on Tues afternoon and when I stayed there last night. (thurs). PIC:

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil/iWeb/Site%205/Blank%2073.html

Hard to see, but there are 2 or 3 empty site in the pic.

Pit toilets and i saw one tap for water. Not sure if for drinking though. Located above the hwy, but it's quiet at night. (hardly any traffic at night). $10 Cnd/night. A deal.

Stayed at a BC foestry service site at "Hidden Lake". SE of Enderby. Also $10 Cnd. And this one was lakeside. The West exposed sites seemed mostly occupied, but the view from my East facing, was awesome none the less. Some lakeside sites have easy access for launching your vessel, though not certain of details as I'm not the boating type (yet). You do need to travel along a 12 KM logging road to get there, but it's 2WD and pretty wide for the most part. You need a forestry service map to find, but if you go East from Enderby to Ashton Creek, the local General store/gas station can direct you. Actually it's easy. See store on left, then bear right, following yellow line for a long block or so, then stay straight. DON'T go left following yellow line. Follow to narrow bridge, and follow signs.

MY .02:

In general, I don't see any advantage $$-wise in going to forestry sites via dirt roads. Your van takes a beating, potentially offsetting any $$ gain in slightly lower fees. Plus, there are BC Provincial pit toilet type sites at $10-14. But, BCFS sites can offer some relatively unspoiled surroundings, and less, if not any, of the er, RV type situation. Not knocking RV's or there owners, I'm just sayin that's all -- ;^)

Neil.

-- Please send me your Vanagon/Westfalia links! http://vanagonlinks.googlepages.com/home

Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia. http://web.mac.com/tubaneil