Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Aug 2007 08:57:52 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Acceptable Aircooled Oil Temps
Comments: To: "Burdett, Jean-Pierre" <jp.burdett@spotwave.com>

Interesting to see your head temps don't go above 350F.

I'm sure the external cooler helps a lot.

I just finished a trip through 1200' + altitudes with lots of long hills (like 2nd gear at times)

FWIW, head temp (#3 cyl) never got above 380-390F. On level w/o headwind, 350F. I understand this is totally fine.

This was on a 81 AC Westy, NO external oil cooler but running 20/50 oil.

Cheers,

Neil.

On 8/13/07, Burdett, Jean-Pierre <jp.burdett@spotwave.com> wrote: > Hi Guys, > > I think I've made a newbie mistake. My cylinder head temps never go > above 350 which is good. The bad part is I never verified what oil temps > I should be running. I've read the archives but would like to hear it > first hand... here is what is happening. > > When traveling fully loaded on the highway I often see a steady 260 > degrees and 35 psi oil pressure. The odd time it will go to 270 if the > weather is hot and the oil pressure drops to about 28. It hit 275 when I > took to poor girl up to the top of Mt Washington (I had to... I believed > in her). I've probably driven 1,800 miles like this and no problems have > occurred that I can tell. > > SO...Have I've been too rough on her? What kind of temps are other > people with Air Cooled engines seeing when road tripping? From some > posts their oil temp is 230 etc. Should I be worried about going that > high for sustained periods? Should I just ease off the pedal a bit more? > Will changing to semi synthetic help? > > Other Info > - She seems to run very happily > - I'm running castrol 20W50 oil & filter changes every 3,000kms / > 1,800miles > - I think I've had to top her up about 1 quart oil in 3,000kms / > 1,800miles > - I have an auxiliary oil cooler > - All the tin is good and engine compartment seal in place > - Engine bay is quite clean > - My van is well maintained / stock > - I've been driving about 105Kms(62mph) on the flats and about > 80Kms(50mph) up the hills, downhill I tend to let it go to 110kmh(70mph) > to help get up halfway the next hill. > - She gets 20mpg consistently on the highway > > Thanks for your opinions! > > JP > > > > > > >

-- Please send me your Vanagon/Westfalia links! http://vanagonlinks.googlepages.com/home

Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia. http://web.mac.com/tubaneil