Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Aug 2007 16:09:39 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Van Meet 2007 at White Rock Beach
Comments: To: Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com>

No, thank you Jake!

And thanks to those who loaned out their ear/brains for questions about engine swaps and what not. I know I asked a few....

Seeing engine conversions "in person" really helped me wrap my head around what's involved.

And Jake you forgot to mention the "Best Use Of An Ignition Coil" award. I think Paul took that one:

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil/iWeb/Site%205/Coil.html

And for the record, I may have beaten out Jakes 84' by more than one dent! --- ;^)

Neil.

On 8/19/07, Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com> wrote: > Thanks to all who showed up at the beach yesterday to share a common love of > Vanagons. It was great to finally put voices to people I've only known as > text. > > Appearing were Harold Kiesewetter in his freshly painted Orly Blue TDI > powered Westy , Neil Nicholson in his Assuan Brown AC '81 Westy, Paul Guzyk > and Dot in their Bordeaux Red Carat, Bill MacLachlan in his 1.8 Golf powered > '82 GL, Tabe Johnson and his sweet son Trevor in their Pastel White '85 > Westy, Bernie J in his very clean '85 GL Westy and John Woo in his Silver > '86 Westy. Dave and Helene Marshall with their lively kids Richard and > Loraine drove their killer Hightop Syncro Westy with the R-TDI motor and VW > LT 4 x 4 with 2.4 litre AUDI 6 cylinder diesel. Official Photographer Milo > de Villiers drove my Wolfram Grey '84 GL work van and I got there plenty > early in Dixie, our Pastel White '86 Westy Weekender. > > John Woo from California won the Long Distance Award, Neil's '81 edged out > my '84 by a single dent for Most Beat Up and David Marshall took both the > Tallest Van and Biggest Truck categories. Paul Guzyk won the Best Tool > Award for his aluminium floor jack and Bernie's van took the Most Original > Award. > > For those of you whose lips are already getting tired, skip to the pix at > http://subyjake.googlepages.com/ > Click for larger versions and if anybody wants more just email me direct; > Milo took hundreds! > > By liberal use of folding chairs and traffic cones I managed to claim 11 > consecutive parking spots at the extreme western end of White Rock Beach. > After a couple hours of queries from pedestrians ('Is there going to be a > race?' and 'Will there be music?' ) Vanagons started to show up. > > Bernie brewed up green tea for folks in a French press, Tabe created a > community kitchen and his son Trevor passed out potato chips, I showed the > beer-drinking members how to use the passenger side door jamb latch as a > bottle opener and Dave wowed us with his Big Truck. > > Young Richard pumped up their inflatable and Loraine collected shells in > the shallows while the rest of us hung out, ate and drank and talked > Vanagon. With the Syncro, the LT, an air-cooled van (ABX?), a Golf > transplant and two TDIs plus my impending 2.5 Subie swap there was plenty to > talk about. You know, motors, trombones, wheels & tires, baseball, gear > ratios......... > > We managed to attract the attention of a couple of passing Westies, one of > whom had been corresponding with David about a diesel conversion, the other > of which was the long lost Pat Jackman in his beautiful Flash Silver '90 > Westy, fleeing from the 2 hour border lineup. > > We also had a visit from a photographer from the Peace Arch News who took a > bunch of pix and wanted to interview me, as erstwhile 'organizer' of the > event! I told him that organizing Vanagonites was like herding cats. > :) > > There was much talk of a repeat of the event next year around the same time, > maybe in a different spot, maybe with camping. Stay in touch. > > Thanks again everybody, Jake > > -- > Jake > 1984 Vanagon GL > 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" > www.crescentbeachguitar.com >

-- Please send me your Vanagon/Westfalia links! http://vanagonlinks.googlepages.com/home

Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia. http://web.mac.com/tubaneil