Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:18:48 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      "Iffy" parking areas, neighborhoods, etc.  My fix.

I have had a great solution for security when you must leave your van in questionable areas, or are just too lazy to lock everything all the time...Doggies..

We have three Chesepeakes (a large aggressive breed similar to a Labrador, but with 'evil looking' yellow eyes and a protective manner) and most times, one (at least) is along when I drive the van. I've tinted all the windows quite dark for their comfort and I have a huge water bowl on the rear floor if I have to be away for more than a few minutes. Nobody but NOBODY bothers the van, period! I have some of those little red brass signs on all four sides in the windows..'beware of the dog' and I try to park where foot traffic isn't forced to pass close by the van, if I am in town or a city.. When I start a bike ride or a hike from an isolated trailhead, I don't always lock the van if the doggies are along..Even in L.A. I have no fear that anyone will get inside..Of course, given that I live in the USA, if someone did get stupid enough to open the door with 100 lbs of snarling dog in his/her face, I would probably get sued and lose everything cause the doggy savaged the crook. One time, at a deserted beach in 'urban' Baja, I was confronted by a couple of pretty rough looking would-be crooks as I came back to my van after checking the waves. They were kinda 'checking me out' at like 5:30am, probably wanting to rob me, so they asked me for a match and started sliding nearer...I said "Match? Si, claro, en me auto" and pulled open the Van's slider, letting Max and Jake out in their faces....They backed right off. I said "Aqui, sus phosphero?" (here, your match..) and they said..."Oh, we forgot our cigarettes.." and split... For sure, dogs are a good deterrent to criminals and bears..even the Mexican Army waves me right through their "Droga y Armas" check points when they see the canine co-pilot in the right seat.. Don Hanson I make my dogs earn their food and health care by standing "guard duty"