Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Aug 2007 11:18:27 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Vickers <jeff@VICKERSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Seeking Yakima Rack Advice

Kevin,

I would first take a 6-8 ft level and put it on top of the poptop and observe how much "crown" there is up there so you can mount your brackets without any "Doh!" incidents. I used the tall towers but not the super tall ones. If you are going to load a lot of stuff up there I would recommend no less than 2" clearance if you are planning to use Yakima cross bars. They will bend little by little under a big load and sure enough rest on the top if you don't leave enough room under them. I use underground gas pipe for my cross bars. Its cheap as chips, the obligatory 1.125" OD, twice as thick as the Yaki bars and has an industrial grade, yellow-colored coating meant to resist living underground.

I used big fender washers behind my brackets but if you can find a semi-thrashed set of brackets on Craigslist, you could use those as backing plates, too. Nylock nuts all around. I only have two brackets per side so I can't really say where best to locate the other two but I put one set over the rear wheels for making loading easier. Sounds like you're gonna need a nice light 4 ft aluminum ladder for that load.

Jeff / 87 Syncro Westaru 2.2