Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Aug 2007 22:23:43 -0400
From:         Craig Cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rough running till warmed up
Comments: To: David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>

I set the idle as per Bently. I disconected the Idle control unit and plugged the two together. Then, i turned the screw till the idle was properly set and replugged everything else together (with the ignition off of course). Nothing. This made no difference. I was further investigating and seem to have found that it has nothing to do with being "warm". If i start the car, it runs and dies. It will continue to do this untill i give it sustained throttle for 30 seconds or a minute, then it will settle down and idle properly. Now say i've run it for a while (10 miles at 55mph) then shut it down. I go into the pizza place to pick up a pizza, lets say it takes like 5 minutes. The engines still warm, when i turn it back on the engine will register as warm.....but the idle will still be pathetic untill i give it a little gas, then it will settle back down. I'm fresh out of ideas. The timing was just set (by ear by a mechanic) which ended up making a huge difference in the performance of the car, but might have somehow effected this? There was a vaccuum line loose off the top of the distributor when i first found this problem yeseterday....i put it back on.....the problem still exists. Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks again! -craig '85GL