Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Aug 2007 21:12:39 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Propane smell diagnostics
Comments: To: Gregor Brandt <gbrandt@marionette.ca>

If you are opening valve at LP tank, then turning on either or both appliances, it could be the leak is somewhere on tank parts or at connection(s) to regulator.

Check to see if there is a leak at the regulator, it's connections, and valve(s) on LP tank. Use a soapy water solution to do this. Just brush some on and watch for bubbles.

Check the connections at fridge and stove. There should be one for each.

My Dometic fridge connects at LH upper corner (as you look at fridge). Likely yours is the same. Likely a PITA to do, but you could put some soapy solution on fridge and stove connections and look for bubbles. An automotive dental type mirror may help in this regard.

You are smelling propane so DON'T light the applicances. Check tank parts/connections and appliance connections. If there's no leaks there, then it may be a part on the appliances themselves.

You can hook up a BBQ tank to your fridge which would, at the very least, offer a chance to see if any parts or connections on fridge are leaking. I imagine the thread is the same on the stove and you could trouble shoot there too though I've never done that.

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco" (Bustorius)

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil

Please send me your Vanagon/Westfalia links! http://vanagonlinks.googlepages.com/home

On 8/20/07, Gregor Brandt <gbrandt@marionette.ca> wrote: > Well, it looks like I have to take my fridge out and do some > investigation.... > > I smell propane in the van but only when the fridge and/or the stove is > on, never otherwise. Where does this imply that the leak is? > > Thanks > Gregor >