Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Aug 2007 14:56:02 -0400
From:         Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Re: How to change a starter?
Comments: To: Kai Mei <kai@NEWCLEAR.US>

Kai Mei <kai@NEWCLEAR.US> wrote: I'm looking at changing a starter in a 87 manual van. Is there there a tutorial on the interweb? Any special tools?

Thanks. I've done it on Diesels a few times. Starter is mounted on the bellhousing forward on the engine bay on both gas and diesel vans, but differ slightly in location. It is a bit diffcult to get under there, but it can be done. I lift the van as high as it goes in one corner, crawl under and feel my way to the big bolts on the bellhousing. A couple different lengths extensions for the socket wrench are helpful to have room to turn the wrench. On the Diesel, one needs also to loosen the clutch slave cylinder slighly to wiggle the starter out. Take out the small bolt that holds a bracket and line near the bottom of the tranny, then rotate clutch svale assembly slitghy outwards and the starter flange can slip by.

Martin

Martin

--------------------------------- Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail