Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Aug 2007 15:02:38 -0700
From:         Evan Mac Donald <macdonald1987@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Rough running till warmed up

There is a possibility that should be looked at. The butterfly plate in the throttle could be worn, and the shaft and plate do not settle into place properly. This will have two major effects. One, the throttle plate will not seal off the throat of the throttle body properly, so you in effect have a HUGE vaccuum leak. Second, and worse for us Vanagon folks, the shaft will not always rotate into place, to actuate the idle cut-off switch. No matter how well adjusted you think you have it, if the throttle shaft is wobbling or sticking, it will change the apparent adjustment every time the throttle is actuated.

Your idle improves when you tap the gas most likely because as the engine is running, it "bounces" the throttle plate and shaft mostly back into place, so it all works (mostly) as it should.

I could not get a reliable idle on my '85. I tried adjusting everything. The idle, the timing, the idle cut-off switch, if it could be moved, I did it. Nothing worked. Finally, I removed the throttle body, and examined the plate and shaft. The bottom 1/16" of the plate was worn away. This left a large gap at the bottom, and also would allow the shaft to drop, and slightly wedge itself open. When I carefully rotated and lifted the throttle shaft to "closed", the switch would click, but a big crescent-shaped gap would appear. If I just let the throttle return spring pull it closed, it was hit and miss. Sometimes full closed, sometimes not.

A replacement throttle body cured all of this.

Just as an experiment, try pushing the throttle open, then letting it go closed again, before you turn the key to start. If you have a decent idle right away, you have a bit more information for troubleshooting...

Craig Cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM> wrote: I set the idle as per Bently. I disconected the Idle control unit and plugged the two together. Then, i turned the screw till the idle was properly set and replugged everything else together (with the ignition off of course). Nothing. This made no difference. I was further investigating and seem to have found that it has nothing to do with being "warm". If i start the car, it runs and dies. It will continue to do this untill i give it sustained throttle for 30 seconds or a minute, then it will settle down and idle properly. Now say i've run it for a while (10 miles at 55mph) then shut it down. I go into the pizza place to pick up a pizza, lets say it takes like 5 minutes. The engines still warm, when i turn it back on the engine will register as warm.....but the idle will still be pathetic untill i give it a little gas, then it will settle back down. I'm fresh out of ideas. The timing was just set (by ear by a mechanic) which ended up making a huge difference in the performance of the car, but might have somehow effected this? There was a vaccuum line loose off the top of the distributor when i first found this problem yeseterday....i put it back on.....the problem still exists. Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks again! -craig '85GL