Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Aug 2007 19:31:01 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Valve adjustment suggestions and a question
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Neil, I thought you did it exactly right. Why is it a question? It sounds like a lifter leaked out its oil. It needed to be pumped back up. You did what I would do.

The only thing I would do differently is instead of idling for a while waiting it to be pumped back up I would rev the engine up and down to speed up the process. I found it would pump up faster by reving it with no load. Just my 2 cents.

David

--- neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > A question. > > One lifter is consistently noisy at start up. Play felt "soft" not > solid like all the others. I found that its' adjuster screw had to be > turned WAY in to take out play. I could see this was wrong. Even then > it was hard to judge if play was solid. This was with engine cold. > > To get a more accurate adjustment, I adjusted all except the soft > lifter, (engine cold) put noisy lifter back to it's original setting, > then started engine and waited for lifter to quiet down. I figured it > was properly (or as good as it gets) filled with oil at that point. > After that, when pulling the rocker back to check play, it felt more > "solid". I felt that this way I could adjust it more accurately. > > Was this the wrong way to do it? > > I understand the right way involves replacing the lifter! --- :) > > > Cheers, > > Neil. > > -- > Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - > "Jaco" (Bustorius) > > http://web.mac.com/tubaneil > > Please send me your Vanagon/Westfalia links! > http://vanagonlinks.googlepages.com/home >

____________________________________________________________________________________ Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell. http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/