Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Aug 2007 22:38:24 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Simpler is better? Some nonVW content... & diesel

WARNING WARNING If you don't like unpaid promotion of Toyotas, read no further!

>The moment I begin to believe that I >need power-steering,

PS is useful, if it's reliable. Especially if you live where you have to do a U-turn or 5-point turn every time you leave home. Maybe VW racks are leak-prone; it certainly seems so from the list. I converted my 89 Corolla diesel to PS and haven't looked back... and have never heard of a Toyota rack giving trouble. I'll be converting my 84 T3 and hoping it doesn't end-up leaking.

>power-windows, power-mirrors,

Those are good things to have (need to roll the passenger window down to talk to someone on the sidewalk? Someone bump the passenger-side mirror? These vans are too wide for me to easily do so from the driver's seat, and I have a 2m armspan)... so long as they're reliable. I will be installing both on my 84, but they will not be VW (or even German) items. I'll also be installing both in my bottom-of-the-line Corolla.

>AC,

Great stuff in hot sticky weather, but from what I hear VW AC is about as reliable as the VW wasserboxer... or a Type 928. And apparently they can cause brain-damage.*

>electric butt warmers, power-seats,

Now, THOSE are unnecessary. A heated wheel, on the other hand, would be good for cold climates where the heater takes a long time to start blowing warm air. Or for aircooled vehicles with near-useless heaters (like my 57 Panel, 66 & 75 Kombis were... talk about numb knuckles!).

>all kind of >warning beeps and blares that go off because - gasp - >the key is in the lock and I dared to open the door,

Such LCD alarms can be disabled, in some cases in seconds, if the buzzer is easily accessible. 89 Coronas didn't have these on the NZ market; instead the driver's door would unlock itself if you locked it with the key in the ignition, a very good feature which unfortunately Japanese-market imports don't have. Of course a spare key in the wallet can save a lot of hassle for those lacking such features.

>automatic transmission

Auto transmissions are crap for lazy people. Poor performance, poor economy... and expensive if needing repairs (and they're more likely to so need). Plus most won't change gear when they should & do change when they shouldn't. Try a mid90s Nissan Primera 2.0 as a good example of this (sold only in North America with Infiniti-something-or-other badges; most Nissans there are badge-engineered).

"Simpler is better" isn't necessarily the case. With German cars it would be better to say "more simple is less bad". Toyotas can be incredibly complex (EG Toyota Celsior/Lexus LS) and still give decades of trouble-free service. Our 89 Corona diesel has done 650,000km (plus whatever was taken off the clock on secondhand importation from Japan) and the electric windows have never given switch or winder problems (though, while it was a taxi, the driver's window broke its rear mounting tab 3 times... but changing the window for one out of a wreck is a 10-minute job).

Speaking of Toyotas, I have just installed a 2C-T turbodiesel 2.0 from a 94 Camry in my FWD 89 CE96 Corolla wagon, in place of the stock 1C 1.8. Added in an intercooler from a mid90s Isuzu Bighorn (Trooper). The power output of a 94 2C-T is supposed to be a whole 65kW (83hp) @4000rpm... it must be the 176Nm@2200prm torque, because it's now a real hoot to drive on the twisties & hills, despite its commercial (450kg load rating) leaf rear springs. Who needs direct-injection, DOHC, 16 valves or common-rail? I'm still looking for a 2.2-liter EFI 3C-T (94kW@4000/206Nm@2200), though... like the 2C, it'll bolt straight in, and develops about 20kW more than a nonEFI 3C-T (74kW@4200/216Nm@2600). Now I need to figure-out the instrument wiring so that I can pop out the short original instrument-cluster (2 small blank dials, speedo, fuel & temp only, not even a clock) & AM-only radio & replace it with a long 7-gauge 87 Sprinter Ceilo (liftback) cluster, which will screw straight in and covers the stock radio-clock area. I have replaced the gray lower dash sections, console and the vents with maroon items, which looks quite nice. The Ceilo cluster has a flat-black surround panel with black dials, which I think is removable. I'm thinking of repainting it... but can't decide on a color. The wheel will be a sky-blue leatherbound 87 AE80 Corolla GT item, so a blue face wouldn't be good. White? Emerald? Orange? With a broad contrasting cloudy (airbrushed) band up the middle?

*When it falls on your head. -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut