Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Aug 2007 20:13:40 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Another great Van road excursion..Northwest USA.

We left the Columbia River Gorge on Friday afternoon, heading for Crystal Mountain Ski area near Mt Ranieer for a bicycle race. Crystal is about 125(guessing) miles north of the Hood River, Oregon area, but there aren't any direct (paved) roads. Either into Portland and north or Northeast and then west through Yakima, if you want pavement. There is a convoluted route through National forest and old logging roads, but we opted for Yakima, to be sure to arrive by the 11:00am starting time of the bike hillclimb with a good nights sleep behind us. Heading into Ranieer Nat. Park just before dark, we started poking into Forest Service side roads, looking for an informal campsite, since we just wanted sleep and quiet..Found a great one on the American River. I found reason to test out my "new" screen set-up. A couple of pieces of nylon screen cut to size for the sliders, mounted (on the outside) with some of my magnets, of course. Worked perfectly, and they roll up under the bed taking no room. It was also great to have my low low gear (from a diesel 5sp) and the small size of the van to not really worry about side roads. I will say, Daryll will be seeing me soon for a limited slip in my van, because again I had marginal traction backing out of a not very steep site, on dry pine needles yet. The bikes rode perfect on the back hatch on a Yakima rack. We did one tank at 23.4 mpg and one at 25.3, hot desert and mountain driving..The more I run the little 1.8liter inline 4, the more I like it. Just perfect for trips like this... It turns out we did good by electing to NOT use the direct but back road route...One of the connection roads inside Ranieer Park is closed, and we would have had a big detour around the mountain to get to the race at Crystal Mountain..(on the NE side of Ranieer) Again, at the bike race while getting geared up and warming up, I got compliments on the Vanagon..People almost do the "forehead smack" when they see how we work it at an event.....They seem to say...Jeeze, why don't I have one a those, too? Anyway, about 600 miles in two days, with a comfortable overnight camping episode and some beautiful new scenery. A couple of tanks of fuel and the entry fee for the race was our only expense.. The race? Very tough! About 1600' of elevation gain in 6 miles, done at near half an hour's pace...I hope...Didn't stay to wait out all the results, since I got to ride near the start of 100 some riders.. Ciao. Don Hanson