Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Aug 2007 13:28:07 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dometic high altitude lighting tips
Comments: To: Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@yahoo.com>

Thanks Roger.

That makes sense. I may try adjusting reg when I get home.

Neil.

On 8/25/07, Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@yahoo.com> wrote: > > I think at high altitudes the LP comes through the low altitude orifice > jet at a higher velocity than is useable. Higher than at low altitude. > Less air pressure up there to hold it back. What may be happening, is like > in that John Wayne movie " Hell fighters". The flame gets blown right off > the LP stream, and the fire goes out. In Hellfighters, they actually used > explosives to blow the flame off the gas well head. That put it out. I > think that this method of extinguishing well fires is actually used in > Texas,too. > > In the Dometic, maybe the LP is coming out so fast that the flame head > gets blown right off. A smaller jet may reduce this back to normal LP > velocity. OEm jet is a number 22 and high altitude is #24. #24 is smaller. > > I think this lower high altitude velicity can be duplicated by reducing > the regulator pressure from 11 inches. Dont know how much changing is > needed though. Maybe 10 inches will keep the flame agoing. Actual window > of useable LP pressure is about 11.5 , down to 9 inches, and still get the > same end results.The stove should still work ok with this lower > pressure.LP supply will last longer. > > People with Vanagon Westfalia with a regulator that seems to work ok at > high altitude, may have never had it adjusted during its entire lifetime. > Driving over rough roads for 20 years may cause the adjusting disk to back > off, and actually lower the LP pressure.This would make operation at high > altitude ok and still cool at sea level. My theory. The regulator in my 85 > was a half inch of WC too low, when first tested. > > There is no lock nut like device to keep the adjusting disk at the > setting, measured. The adjusting disk is only a plastic disk about 1/8 > inch thick and the diametrer of a quarter. It has a opening for a hex > screw driver bit in the center ( like a donut hole- Mmmm donuts) for > adjustment.The disk is threaded on the outside rim, and screws into the > hole. Fine threads. It pushes against a spring, which inturns pushes on a > bellows.This bellows is contained in the wide circular area on the > regulator. There is always simple mechanical pressure on the disk > to "loosen up, or unscrew.This will reduce the pressure of the LP gas.It > only takes about a 1/2 turn to change the LP pressure an inch of water > column. Perhaps driving over bumpy roads for 20 years may be enough to do > this loosening. Especially roads at high altitiudes, as the roads in > Colorado which I have seen( at high alitutde) are gravel and dirt, and > Westys like to go camping frequently. I think this is what is happening > with westy owners that say their Dometics cool ok with the low altitude > jet. If they adjusted their regulators to 11 inches of WC, the Dometic > would poop out and get replaced with a NORCOLD. > > www.rverscorner.com for instructions for use and building a $2 manometer > for checking your regulator. It is as easy to do as is the $2 for buying > the materials. >

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco" (Bustorius)

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil

Please send me your Vanagon/Westfalia links! http://vanagonlinks.googlepages.com/home