Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Aug 2007 18:45:29 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fiberglass Patch on Bumpers
Comments: To: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>

YOur mistake was using an over the counter resin system like polyester or isothalic. MEKP is nasty stuff for the amatuer and those store resinshave additives to make them have longer shelf life and that translates into weaker bonds and the incomplete curing you speak of. Most likely, you didn't use enough catalyst(MEKP) and it may never fully set up.

I would start from scratch and either use a good quality epoxy(Gougeon Brothers, System 3 etc.) and then your repair will be stronger than the rest of the bumper. Ask Mike Cullom about my kevlar and Gougeon Brothers repair.

DM&FS