Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Aug 2007 00:00:25 -0700
From:         Philip Zimmerman <philzimm1@OBERON.ARK.COM>
Subject:      Re: Marshall "Second Chance" LPG adapter?

Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 13:28:48 -0700 From: Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM> Subject: Marshall "Second Chance" LPG adapter?

I'm looking for an easy way to refill, or at least partially refill, the little 1lb propane bottles we use for our BBQ grill.

Has anyone added one of these to their Westy?

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1252

Seems to me, though, that it wants to be below the "waterline" of the van's LPG tank in order to put much more than gas into the little bottle. And it's not clear how a fellow would add this thing into the existing main service valve > regulator setup. -----------

Mike.... aka Mr. Squirrel... how the heck are you and Mellow Yellow?

Kim's reply covers my experience too, on refilling the 1 lb. "Green Bottles". Ever read the fine-print on the bottle's label? I know I know... real anal... but it is an offence to refill and then transport them. Pretty much sez it all. YMMV

Further, the present genre of portable tanks and regulators have a built-in safety discharge restriction that restricts the discharge of liquid propane out of them to a mere dribble. Gone are the days with the old tanks where you could turn them upside-down and they would flow liquid propane into whatever you had them connect to....

All this said, I do carry a Green Bottle and one of those nifty adapters you linked above. Along with another adapter that connects to the Auto-Fill-ACME valve on the Westie Tank. If you catch my drift here already.... Yeah, this is kinda illegal too as it is real close to "dispensing" liquid propane... which requires a dispensing licence in most jurisdictions. The rub or catch is.... it aint an offence to refill the Tank on our Westies.... 8-)

If the Westie tank runs out while camping, connect a 1 lb. bottle to the Westie Tank and you are good for a couple more days running the fridge and stove. Done in the morning when the Westie tank is cool & empty and with the 1 lb. Green bottle warmed in the Sun, the fill is pretty complete... meaning the 1 lb. bottle is emptied of all its liquid propane. Seems the only propane bottles left in service now, without a discharge restriction, are the 1 lb. Green Bottles and tall portable Propane Touche cylinders...

This being said, you could connect two of those nifty adapters you mentioned above, end to end like; then using a "cascade" type of filling operation, fill a bunch of half-empty Green Bottles... ultimately getting one pretty full 1 lb. bottle! Sounds like a whole bunch of illegal dangerous work where you just might blow yourself up.... and Mrs Squirrel would then be real sad! Best get a small (1.2 Gal is the smallest made now AFAIK) refillable Cylinder and use one of the various adapter-hoses made to connect to your portable stove. More economical in the long run and then you don't need to buy those awful "Green Bottle Menaces" anymore.....

Regards Phil Z. Campbell River, BC --------------------------------