Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Aug 2007 18:24:10 -0400
From:         Wesley Pegden <wes@CS.UCHICAGO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: White smoke? (UPDATE)
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@charter.net>

John, thanks for the advice. Just wanted to clarify: there's a LOT of smoke coming out (at least, when the engine is at higher rpms, when idling, not so noticeable). Driving down the street, I would definitely be turning lots of heads! You still think I should give it a good spin? How long should I give it before I should expect the smoke to quiet down? Does good compression like this definitively rule out that I'm having serious head gasket issues?

Thanks again! Wes

John Rodgers wrote: > It sounds now as if you have a moisture accumulation from the vehicle > sitting for a while. It may burn off after driving it some distance. > > As for the lifter clatter, review the last time there was an oil > change with filter, and then drive it for a spell. The lifter clatter > should go away. It may take up to 20 miles for a flat lifter to pump up. > > BTW, nice numbers on the compression. > > I think I would change the oil, the filter, check the other fluids - > coolant etc, then take a 100 mile trip. It doesn't really sound as if > you have any significant problems that a good run to blow out the > engine and exhaust would not cure. These machines are designed to > travel, not sit around and collect dirt dauber nests, moisture in the > engine, rat nests in the cabin cooling ducting. > > Regards, > > John Rodgers > 88 GL Driver. > > > Wesley Pegden wrote: >> Thanks guys for the responses. >> >> Just finished doing the compression test: 155 155 160 155. >> Here are my notes on the spark plugs: >> 1: oily black (ugh) >> 2: oily black (ugh) >> 3: nice looking tan >> 4: also tan (maybe a tad bit grayer than 3? hard to say). >> >> Still has all the symptoms as before. Out of the tailpipe, apart from >> white smoke I see now that it's dripping some grayish liquid---what I >> might guess to be a mixture of coolant with oil?. >> >> I'm guessing this van is in for some major engine work?? >> >> Oh, and it sounds like one of the lifters is noisy after sitting for a >> while. Because of the other issues, I haven't run it to see how long it >> takes to quiet down. >> >> Here's the non-mechanical situation: We recently acquired our 83 westy, >> and so were planning on selling this (the 84 gl) to free up some cash. >> I had just started driving it regularly after 2 months of mostly sitting >> to make sure it was still in decent shape (guess not!). Before that it >> had been my daily driver. >> >> Anyways, bottom line is, since I'm mostly interested in converting the >> van into money, what repairs do people think are advisable? I obviously >> don't want to put $1000 dollars into getting this fixed. And if it's >> heads I need, I don't think I want to do that work myself. I guess I'm >> wondering what it's worth as it is or with repairs I would be willing to >> do (not dropping engine, and preferably not dismantling exhaust). >> >> Thanks very much for any help, guys... >> Wes >> >> >> >> John Rodgers wrote: >> >>> Wes, >>> >>> The "White Smoke" syndrome of the Vanagons is indicative of an >>> internal failure resulting coolant leaking into the cylinder - usually >>> a cracked head, but could be some other seal issue. Another >>> possibility is that you actually have a "Blue Smoke" syndrome. Unless >>> you are really familiar, they may look so similar as to look the >>> same. You need to have a compression test done immediately before >>> further driving, or you could cause a catastrophic engine failure, >>> resulting in so much damage that you cannot fix the problem at >>> reasonable cost, but will have to replace the engine completely. The >>> white smoke syndrome in my case was really a bluish smoke - but seen >>> at night it was difficult to tell. A hold burned through the piston, >>> scored the cylinder, destroyed the piston, over heated the head to the >>> point the head had a melt point on it and put metal all through the >>> engine. >>> >>> You have some thing major happening, and the compression test will >>> help isolate it an give you info on the direction to take for repair. >>> >>> Regards, >>> >>> John Rodgers >>> 88 GL Driver >>> >>> Wesley Pegden wrote: >>> >>>> My '84 1.9l started blowing white smoke a few weeks ago. I made it >>>> home >>>> mostly coasting (under a mile) and checked it out, the vacuum hoses >>>> were >>>> all shot (cracked, falling off, etc), I figured that was the problem. >>>> (It also was idling really erratically). Haven't driven it since then >>>> until today: I fixed the hoses finally, started it up, idles fine, >>>> drive >>>> it around the block, starts blowing smoke again halfway around. >>>> When I >>>> get back to where I was parked before (2 minutes later) it's idling >>>> badly. >>>> >>>> Ideas? Did I mess something up? >>>> >>>> Thanks very much! >>>> Wes >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>> >>> >> >> >> > > >