Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Aug 2007 21:12:11 -0400
From:         Sudhir Desai <sudhir.desai@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      (Conversion-OrientedVC) Subaru 2.2l 4-cyl turned 260K this
              afternoon while coming home from Atlantic City

Caveat: Not bashing any engines in this e-mail, sorry to disappoint.

The engine in my '96 Outback wagon (open-block EJ22) turned 260k miles this afternoon, and I thought I'd share since more, and more people are converting to subaru engines.

All preventive maintenance was, and is performed on schedule. The engine is run on the highway at 3000 - 4000RPM consistently. I have done forest-trail rallies (like WRC, but not as fast), and still not had any problems. I have also run auto-cross courses in the car.

In short, the engine has been driven VERY hard, and still runs well.

The transmission on the other hand, is blah. I have torn 2 transmissions up driving hard in the snow -- flooring in second gear, and using the rev-limiter as the traction control device (the engine is still running fine -- this was two years ago).

That's my glowing praise. Sudhir