Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Aug 2007 21:29:59 -0700
From:         Thomas Pfrommer <pfrommer@PHAS.UBC.CA>
Subject:      Speedometer cable -- trip report to the Okanagan

Hi list, first the good message: We had a really nice trip to the Okanagan and everything went smooth, regarding the rebuilt engine with now about 3000km on it. Drove about 3600rpm (=100km/h on flat terrain) The oil pressure (first regular oil change just before the trip, third after rebuilt) was slowly going down from 28/29psi to perhaps 25psi within 1.5 hours from Vancouver to Hope (very tiny slope over more than 130km). Coolant temp was just touching the lower side of the warning light. Then the Coquihalla came and I had to give full throttle for maintaining about 65km/h, the oil pressure went down a bit but still around 18/19psi at 2800rpm at the lowest (hottest), water temperature rose but not more than just passing the warning light, the radiator fan brought it slightly down. After this hard bit the engine still run great and smooth all the way to the Okanagan, with a short stop in Merrit to get some gas. Something really cool is the last I'd say 30km from the 97C (the connection) to the Okanagan lake. It always goes down at about 55 or so, and I maintained 100km/h without touching the gas pedal the entire route. Also no brakes are needed. While still running at 3600rpm, the oil pressure rose to 33psi as the engine cooled further down. This is really cool; from 22psi to 33psi at the same rpm just through temperature changes! We stayed for a couple of nights on the lake ad going back i had a scary moment while driving up a dirty slippery road (=just wide enough for the van). I was alone on the van as there was one corner that I did not want to have my family in the car ... too scary. Well this corner went well, BUT then another car came from above and as it was way to steep could not back up. Instead of getting out of the van and look what would be the best to do, I backed up slowly, but came a bit too high (did not want to get too close to the inner falling corner of this slippery edge, but the high side had an even higher large flat stone, which made it worse) and then had to turn the wheel to not roll over down the hill. Sure enough the wrong direction, which brought me in a really bad situation. I would even say, my kangaroo bumper prevented me from rolling. Sorry no photos shot as I was too afraid of this entire situation. But I can tell you it was the definite limit of a van to not fall over sidewise. Anyway a fried called an uncle with a big 4x4 truck to stabilize my front end and other friends stood at the opened sliding door to get more weight on this side, ready to jump in case I would have had rolled to the other side, and then I basically drove out by myself. Pooh a bit too much excitement, i can tell you. The other car sure enough had had a possibility to find a spot for me to squeeze by in the end (he knows the rod way better, I wonder why he did not pull over in first place). Anyway the way back was smooth with no more excitements, got some nice fruits on the way back and the speedometer cable died. Well not a big deal.

I pulled it at the speedo and noticed, it is not turning anymore, however I feel some vibration while driving. After reading in the archives, its apparently quite bad to replace the cable, but I guess i don't have much choices. Before ordering from Busdepot, I should check if it is the cable, I guess The cable looks nice square on the speedo side, Even if the upper cable looks nice should I still replace both at the same time? Or should I go with the one long cable? Whats the difference? The Bentley advice looks quite straight forward. is there anything more to take care of? Do the Busdepot cables come with the small clip for the hub? One thing I noticed before failure (not just before but actually all the time I have this Van) is, that at about 50-60km/h thecable was quite jumping +- 5km/h ad noisy, above 70km/h it was way quieter and stable.

Sorry for the long report and Thanks Thomas

(I still have to change my tires ... looks like Discount Tire does not have the HankookRA08 in stock, I will call them tomorrow to find out. I think I will go with the 195 ones, if possible.)