Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Aug 2007 05:46:05 -0700
From:         dylan friedman <insyncro@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: front wheel bearing maintenance intervals
Comments: To: Bob Donalds <donalds1@VERIZON.NET>

"grease is your friend"

df

Bob Donalds <donalds1@VERIZON.NET> wrote: While cleaning the bearings I did see the SKF on the races and yes the bearings looked great but drier than I would like to have seen them I think centrifugal force and the melting point of grease are at work here. The newer greases become liquid faster than the older greases and because of this I think the quality of grease and its ability to transfer heat have come along way in fifty years. My question to the list is one of sharing an idea that front wheel bearings do need a little more attention than getting repacked when the brakes are done at 30 to 60k I depending on use and if they are front or rear wheel drive. Rear brakes go sometimes 60k between replacement and I do recall the Rabbit golf and Jettas have a 30K maintenance that calls for repacking rear wheel bearings but no mention for vanagn front bearings in the newest big Green book appendix where the maintenance schedule is listed

I do recall Ben putting out a call for some help locating a left front spindle with a seized front wheel bearing for some young ladies broken down right next to nowhere in the great north woods just a few weeks ago so this is common and I have replace two in resent years left of course

B Bob

----- Original Message ----- From: "--------" To: "Bob Donalds" Cc: Sent: Monday, August 27, 2007 4:25 AM Subject: Re: front wheel bearing maintenance intervals