Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Aug 2007 08:41:53 -0700
From:         Stuart Jeff <stuart@STUARTJEFF.COM>
Subject:      Re: Normal mpg?
Comments: To: Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

I have a rebuilt 1984 1.9L WBX and I get 20mpg on average. I typically keep my van fairly loaded up and probably weigh close to max weight. I carry nothing on the exterior of the van. I don't have A/C. I generally stick to the highways. I never drive faster than 65mph. I typically cruise along around 60mph and I will drop down to around 55 for hill climbs. I really baby the engine and accelerate slowly. I shift to second at around 10mph, third at around 23mph, and into fourth at 40mph. I also live near sea level. ----- Original Message ---- From: Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Monday, August 27, 2007 10:41:20 AM Subject: Normal mpg? I hijacked a thread earlier this year to ask about this, but never got it sorted out. I don't seem to be getting the mileage that others report and could use some suggestions. 1984 1.9l WBX. Auto transmission. The odo is accurate (used those freeway "Speedometer check" signs in several areas to confirm). I've noted fuel consumption at many gas stations and alway get the same answer: about 15.5 mpg (6.7 km/l). One tank of gas gets me about a 240 (390km) mile range on the flats or in the mountains, pretty much the same. Seems low, can't guess why. Doesn't seem to be a measurement error yet I pass California emissions testing easily every time so the engine seems to be tuned well enough. Plugs aren't all black like I'm running rich, engine temps are within range. No sign at all of fuel leaks. I drive mostly freeway at around 50 to 60 mph, with camping gear. No canoes on top or trailers behind. -- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR