Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:06:20 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Lucky me! (camp-side fuel line repair)

So there I was in Yaak campground here in Idaho. Van running a little too hot, so wanted to double check timing.

Read the Muir Manual, cross checked with Bentley, and decided to check timing statically. Made up a test light (VOM battery dead!) and got to it.

Marked dist as it was before messing with timing. Figured it out and found that timing was where it should be. I turned the dist. CCW a hair to see if it would help lower temps but no.

BUT.....

While ign on and me turning crank etc., I noticed a wet spot on DS FI hoses. ACK! So I decided to replace the hose to injector and between rail and supply hose. When removing injector, I managed to give it a whack. I broke off a piece of plastic at tip. AKC! But lucky me. I carry 2 spare, though not known working, injectors. So there I was studying their visual condition. I picked the cleaner looking one, re used the new-ish seals from broken one, and put the new hoses on. Triple checked clamps (which I also had NEW spares) turned the key and it fired RIGHT UP! Best part was a kind fellow, Jay, who happened to be a Honda mechanic, came back after his initial conversation re: van furnaces, to check on me. It started just as shouted out to me. He was impressed that I had spare injectors. Being a former Bug/Bus owner, he knew the deal.

Anyhow.......

Still no leaks, but will reod all (did them just over a year ago).

Of note:

When checking your FI lines, turn on the ignition (fuel pump on) and see if you have any leaks. Don't just look at them. When under pressure, engine off, it may reveal a flaw. I feel VERY LUCKY that I didn't have any appreciable leak when climbing up to 5400 feet with head temps just over 400F. (at times)

Lucky me,

Neil in Idaho heading West.

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco" (Bustorius)

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil

Please send me your Vanagon/Westfalia links! http://vanagonlinks.googlepages.com/home