Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Aug 2007 19:36:43 -0700
From:         "Georgios A. Stylianides, PhD" <gstylia@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Exhaust cylinder studs & threadlock

Hi all,

Back to the exhaust system and crossover front and rear pipe attachment to the cylinder heads. Details below.

My original question: what can one use to help lock (threadlock) the studs on the cylinder heads (see: http://www.esu.edu/~gstylia/vw/cyl4stud.JPG), or even the crankcase (for future reference. Regular threadlock failed!

By the way, I started with studs but they wouldn't sit still. I placed medium strength threadlock paste, let them settle for 24 hrs, but as soon as the locknuts engaged, the studs went in. It was a nice setup, and very easy to set the pipes on the cylinder heads. To make the short story shorter, I ended up doing what Frank suggested ... 30mm bolts. I struggled, almost damaged/stripped the threads of one of the cylinders, but made it. I ended up saving and using the old and original exhaust pipes (somehow, the new ones wouldn't fit ... go figure), but next time I will have to replace the whole thing.

Oh yeah, I ended up getting the Nickel 2400F based anti-seize (per TC) for the bolts and other connections. It made it harder (kind of slippery feeling) to position the bolts and everything, but what the heck.

I too love to see a clean engine! Some people don't believe it when they see my engine(s). The first time (8 years ago) I cleaned the engine was with WD40. It did pretty good, but then I thought that if that thing gets into cracks and openings, it may do some damage. Then, I used different types of engine cleaners and detailers. The best detailer I used was from a company that I don't remember its name. It did a great job. My next step may be a toothbrush ... I am just thinking a little fluoride wouldn't be bad. Maybe the whitening one. Ha! You never know. I may try it. I'll let you know if I do.

Thanks,

geo

____________________________________________________________________________________ Luggage? GPS? Comic books? Check out fitting gifts for grads at Yahoo! Search http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=oni_on_mail&p=graduation+gifts&cs=bz