Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Aug 2007 07:18:45 +0800
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 15" audi wheels with tires Seattle CL $150
Comments: To: David Kao <dtkao0205@yahoo.com>

On 8/29/07, David Kao <dtkao0205@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > > I am not trying to argue that Audi rims are any good, better or whatever. > But my impression about VW stock 14" is not postive in anyway. There was > one > report in the archive that said they are poor. Then I saw at least twice > on carigslist that some used were offered cheap. The reason they were > cheap > was because they were worn, damaged and did not look too good. One set was > offered cheap because the seller put on a new set of after market rims. > That tells a bit about the 14" stock rims really.

In my experience, Vanagon 14" wheels are being replaced because people are moving up to 15" wheels. In terms of fit and finish, quality is very good in my opinion. ONE report in the archive that they are poor is not a testament to the overall quality of a product. Consider how many listmembers there are vs. how many complained. As for Craigslist, finding a good deal there does NOT make a product make the product inferior even if you saw one at least twice. Check to see how often they sell for $400 a set on Ebay. Does that make them a better product than $150 Audi wheels? You really need to read the archives a little closer to determine why people are switching out of the stock alloys. Hey, I picked up a set of Audi Turbo alloys on Craigslist for under $50 a set. I don't think it told "...a bit about the..." wheels other than the last owner wanted 19" wheels.

Audi may not be near the top in terms of quality but not anywhere near the > bottom > either. The set of Audi alloys I got are old but still in good shape. If > they > were poor in quality they would have been worn out or damaged by use. They > show less curb rash then my 2001 Passat rims despite being 10 years older.

Hey, I have a set or AIR wheels which are old and in very good shape. They were on a Mercedes 560SEL with over 290K miles on it. Despite having worn well, yuo can easily see how poor the castings are by looking at the backside. The metal is so porous that I would be scared to venture anywhwre offroad with them. Yet they are old and still in good shape.

I have got almost everything I need to put on the Audi rims, except > machining > the center holes. The total cost to me is still below $200. But I agree > $300 > for a set of stock rims is only $100 more. That's a small money still. But > where do I find a set for $300? All I have seen have been at least $100 > per rim > plus shipping. Oh, I still need new lug bolts and nuts. And the hub caps > at > $20 each?

Lugbolts can be sourced from the Audi you took the wheels from. If not get some 14mm 1.5 in the desired length. Studs are no brainers. They are about $2 each from VW parts places right near where you live. Hubcaps for what?

At any rate, I am about to run to the airport to fly back to the US. So if I don't reply right way, you know why.

Cheers,

BenT