Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:14:04 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Is there any interest in re-starting an IRC(Internet Relay
              Chat) channel for the list?
Comments: To: Sudhir Desai <sudhir.desai@GMAIL.COM>

I started using mIRC (an Internet relay chat program) back in '94 and found IRC easy enough to use. I used it steadily for about 5 years. Strangely enough, though, I haven't used IRC for several years now.

Mike (whose first computer was an apple that came in a baggie back in '76)

Sudhir Desai wrote: > IIRC, the web-based chat app was just a front for an IRC channel, but > I could be wrong. The web frontend that I linked for wasteland.org is > easy enough, if you have a current web browser (I had my mom try it, > and she's as inept as they come). :) > > Sudhir > > On 8/30/07, Nunya Business <bulletheadx@gmail.com> wrote: >> I met my wife on IRC, many many moons ago. No delay, that's actually pretty >> funny. Probably things have changed but lag was the major feature of IRC >> back in those days. : ) >> Didn't Vanagon.com have a straight-up web-based chat app once upon a time? >> Something like that might be easier for the um.... 'old people' here than >> getting used to IRC. >> I sent Mike the Squirrel a chat invite thru Gmail to see how it worked but >> the chucklehead ignored me. Yes I took it personally. >> >> Cya, >> Robert >> >> >> On 8/29/07, Sudhir Desai <sudhir.desai@gmail.com> wrote: >>> Basically, it is a different way of communication between list members. >>> IRC is to our mailing list, as placing a conference call is to a mass >>> mailing. >>> >>> A no-delay method of communication that can be used by anyone with a >>> computer. >>> >>> Here is the IRC wikipedia entry: >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat >>> >>> I hope this clears up any confusion. >>> Sudhir >>> >>> On 8/29/07, Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@yahoo.com> wrote: >>>> Sudhir, >>>> >>>> What does this mean in old people language? >>>> >>>> Thanks, Anthony >>>> '89 Syncro GL (Hidalgo) >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> Sudhir Desai <sudhir.desai@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >>>> I was browsing the archive from the early `90's, and found mention of >>>> a vanagon IRC channel. >>>> Would anyone be interested in restarting one? >>>> >>>> If so, I would like to recommend the server irc.wasteland.org , channel >>>> #type2 >>>> note: the channel already exists, and has people talking. >>>> >>>> The inhabitants of the channel currently, are 1 bus, and 2 vanagon. >>>> >>>> Sudhir >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> ________________________________ >>>> Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who >>> knows. >>>> Yahoo! Answers - Check it out. >>>> >>>> >