Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Aug 2007 19:57:49 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: tire chains / cables on snows?
Comments: To: Chris Lisica <wavanagon@GMAIL.COM>

I quit caarrying a come-a-long some years ago andreplaced it with the Z-drag sruff I take on semi-remote whitewater trips. It consists of a long piece of static climbing or rescue rope(100' or better), climbers pulleys, carabineers, and enough prussick loops to handle the braking and traveling functions. Having a long tublular 1' webbing loop tied with a water nknot further increases your flexibity for getting out of trouble. It all fits neatly in a gym bag and weighs less than the come-a-lo0ng usually. I'm sure there's a website somewhere with a diagram on how it works. We've winched some mightily pinned canoes off huge rocks on whitewater streams with this set up. I read somewhere that a 16' canoe pinned on a rock or tree upstream in a 4 mph current(ie not much current sped for whitewater) exerts over 8000# of force on that rock.

I agree on the chains issue, and the shovrel and sand tubes are always in fashion here in Iowa.

DM&FS