Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Aug 2007 20:18:00 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Measuring fuel pressure
Comments: To: TinkerMan <tinkerman007@YAHOO.COM>

If you have a VDO oil pressure gauge set up in you van(if not WHY not?), you can add another wire to a single pole double throw switch near the dash somewhere and use a second OP sending unit tied into the T connector in the fuel rail with the high pressure 7mm hose and really good ss clamps. Some have said that the OP sender won't handle the gasoline, but mine's been fully functional for a couple of years now and no problems. You can flip the switch and see if the FPR is working and I've even used it to monitor an "emergency" drive where I had forgotten to fill up at the last gas station for 50 miles. Once the pressure starts to drop below the 29psi, it's time to turn off the engine so the pump doesn't run dry and fill your fuel lines with air making the restart that much harder. The only disadvantage to this system is that if you are doing diagnostic work, the gauge is up front, but I'm sure some willing assistant will either read the gauge for you or you could dig out the binoculars. Used OP gaugesif you don't have one) are cheap on ebay and in junk yards. Many Golfs, Jettas, and Audi 4k and 5ks had them from the factory and if your'e lucky, the sending unit might still be on the motor. Still way cheaper than the Sear FP tester or the one from Snap on.

DM&FS