Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:04:35 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Air cooled head temps. Help!
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@gmail.com>

Glad you're making it home anyway. :)

I still recommend trying the hills at 25 mph in second gear; the motor can do that all day without too much effort.

The less you're working it, the less heat it makes.

Seeya, Jake

On 8/29/07, neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: > > Hi Jake. > > Yah sorry. Was saying 40-45 MPH. And kinda guessing at that as speedo > not totally accurate. Not lugging for sure. I can tell by "pitch" of > engine. > > Thanks for pointer re: cooling. As one lister pointed out a while > back, keeping the revs up really helps cooling. I do. And not keeping > the "pedal to the metal" for any sustained long duration, is important > too. > > In a hurry? No! And I make sure to *try* to let people go past me when > possible. And wow. Can't believe the diff between driving secondary > highways and getting onto #1 here in lower mainland. Yeesh! > > Thanks again Jake, and sorry list for such an elementary question. > Searching archives at libraries with dial up modems just takes too > long! > > Neil. > > > > On 8/28/07, Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com> wrote: > > Neil, it sounds as though you're in too high a gear and lugging your > motor. > > Third gear at 25 MPH is too slow and will build a lot of heat in the > motor. > > In my 1.9 if I can't maintain 45 MPH in third I do 25 MPH in second. > > > > Try second gear at 25 MPH (40 KPH) instead. The motor is in a stronger > > place and by turning faster will pump more cooling air past the > cylinders. > > > > There's no hurry anyway, right? :) > > > > Seeya, Jake > > > > > > On 8/28/07, neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Hi all. > > > > > > Am in Republic WA right now. > > > > > > Through *really* steep Colville forest hills, head temps stay at 475 F > at > > > 40-45 km's in 3rd gear. Oil level is fine and oil consumption much > less > > than > > > half a litre in over 1700 km's. > > > > > > I was reading gauge incorrectly. (D-oh!) What I thought was 400 F on > steep > > > hills, was actually 450 F. On level road, my Westy used to stay at > 350, > > but > > > is sometimes higher now. Sometimes 400 F or over. (may be windy > conditions > > > forcing engine to work harder) > > > > > > I replaced VDO temp sensor after damaging first one when re- > installing > > > spark plug on #3 cylinder. I used old temp sensor ring as washer to > help > > > plug turn on washer and not twist sensor while turning plug. Reason > > original > > > ruined. Head temps were high, so removed "washer" thinking plug > sitting > > too > > > "high". New sensor wire got a little chewed again so may not be > sending > > > correctly. > > > > > > Question: > > > > > > IF sensor sending correctly, is 475 F on *steep* hills, too high? > > > > > > Any other way to judge if engine too hot? (feeling dipstick etc.) > > > > > > Engine runs fine otherwise. > > > > > > Many thanks, > > > > > > Neil. > > > > > > -- > > > Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - > > > "Jaco" (Bustorius) > > > > > > http://web.mac.com/tubaneil > > > > > > Please send me your Vanagon/Westfalia links! > > > http://vanagonlinks.googlepages.com/home > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > Jake > > 1984 Vanagon GL > > 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" > > www.crescentbeachguitar.com > > > -- > Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - > "Jaco" (Bustorius) > > http://web.mac.com/tubaneil > > Please send me your Vanagon/Westfalia links! > http://vanagonlinks.googlepages.com/home >

-- Jake 1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" www.crescentbeachguitar.com