Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Sep 2007 07:45:37 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Sway bar bushings-Poor shape..

As I spelunked around under my van looking at stuff, I noticed my front sway bar drop link bushings were very sloppy. I saw some 'polished' area on the bar itself where the bushings have been 'scooching' back and forth rather than cleanly transferring the body sway load/motion to the bar.. I bet this may partially explain how sensitive my van seems to be to cross-gusts of wind. Living in the Columbia River Gorge, the windsurfing capitol of the USA, there are plenty of cross-gusty days. The way my van handles these conditions is very distracting. Actually it is the one thing I dislike about driving my van..dealing with it's tendency to be pushed "off-line" very quickly in the gusts. When it is windy from the side, it is 'white-knuckle time' in my van..You don't dare take a hand off the wheel or glance away from your intended path for even a few seconds..The van seems to resume it's intended path naturally, but a strong gust will move you quickly across the road half way into the oncoming lane, if you neglect to correct with the steering wheel. You must drive very attentively in side winds to avoid death or unintended agricultural excursions. All the other components of the suspension check out, so maybe after I get the bushings replaced, I will just have a 'normal' Shoebox to deal with in the side winds.. Don Hanson