Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Sep 2007 21:29:04 +0000
From:         Todd Last <rubatoguy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Some ride height and suspension observations..
Comments: To: Bill Glenn <idahobill@GMAIL.COM>

I weighed my '88 westy without any water and I'll have to look and see if I kept the numbers. If I remember correctly there was a left side weight bias, and front to back were nearly the same.

I'll have to try it again and report back.

Has anyone ever calculated the CG of their Vanagon? I have the "how -to" instructions if anyone wants them. It does require the use of a scale and jacking up the van while its weighed.

Todd

-------------- Original message ---------------------- From: Bill Glenn <idahobill@GMAIL.COM> > On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 11:53:16 -0700, Jake de Villiers > <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > >Just to point out Bill that you have the diff and axles up front but you've > >got the gas and tank over the rear wheels now. > >There is also a weight difference between the 2WD double wishbone front > >suspension and the Syncro's MacPherson strut system. > > > >I don't think its really useful to compare your Syncroweight distribution > to > >Don's 2WD GL. > > > >You shouldn't be having traction issues anyway! :) > > > Jake, > Just to be clear, I was not trying to compare my Syncro's weight > distribution to Don's. I purposely did not quote any of his post or refer > to his van, or to his experience with it. Rather, in response to your > statement about a front-weight bias in Vanagons, which did not distinguish > between 2WD and 4WD, I replied to, and quoted a portion of your post in an > attempt to broaden the discussion by providing actual data, as opposed to > anecdotal evidence, since it seems very few have actually weighed their > vans. I made sure to say I was talking Syncro. I went on to relate my > experience with 2WD Vanagons, and with my Syncro in 2WD mode, i.e. the prop > shaft removed. I again made no reference to anyone else's van, just my own > experience. Rather than us speculating as to how a Syncro compares with a > 2WD Vanagon in weight distribution, perhaps someone who has actually > weighed their 2WD Vanagon will post to this thread. I'm sorry if you feel > that my comments were off-topic or otherwise misplaced. > Cheers, > Bill