Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Sep 2007 13:33:31 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Whoa! H6 subie & Dieselboxer

>I sure hope it's not the ED series of engines. Or, if it is, hopefully >they all have turbos. :D

Oh, they'll all be turbos, and therefore will all crack heads for their second or third owners. They are common-rail direct-injection DOHC (with rocker camfollowers) 4-valvers, par for the current course. At least, being boxers, they will still run OK even after the head-cracks allow water to collect in the chambers when stopped & cold (as did out Estima, with its almost-horizontal straight-4).

Hopefully there will be a 4.0 six version...

Does anyone even make nonsupercharged diesels these days? Toyota diesel cars from the 80s & 90s were extremely reliable and went well enough; the turbo versions of these engines do crack heads. I am told by a motor engineer that the cracking is not due to heat buildup, but by sudden temperature CHANGES eg when idling-down (even using a fuelvalve timer); he says that to do it right you have to fit a hand-throttle (my wife's 89 Corona 2.0 NA diesel had one of these stock!) and when you go to turn the engine off, bump the idle to fast and leave it to the timer. Means setting the idle every time you start or stop the engine. An intercooler can certainly help here. I have fitted a 1994 2C-T facelift Camry turbodiesel to my 89 Corolla wagon. I didn't want to use the Camry intercooler or an Impreza WRX item because they are small, so had a 90s Isuzu Bighorn item fitted in front of the water-radiator. The gases exiting the intercooler are only slightly warm, I'm impressed. Those twits putting meter-square intercoolers on their riceburners are probably going to have trouble with ice in their inlet charges... and frozen coolant in their heads?

>'H' refers to 'H'orizontally-opposed; not their own use, but in >general automotive terms........... >Look in any blue book and you'll find mention of this.

Hmmm... because it's p[rinted in a book or "common knowledge" doesn't make it correct. Layouts are given letters to show the... layout. S or I (straight/inline), V, radial etc. H doesn't fit, and as others have pointed-out, doesn't discriminate between center-crank (boxer) or 2-stroke outboard dual cranks.

Speaking of wierd engines, anyone know the layout of the fireprone Napier Sabre engines used by Hawker later in WW2? I know they were two separate engines pancaked with a gear-drive between them, but were the boxers or "intraboxers"? -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut ‚ Opinions stated are mine, not those of the University of Otago