Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Sep 2007 15:13:14 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: strange idling
Comments: To: craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>

I remember now that you said you had a strange timing situation possibly because of your distributor. There is a possibility that your distributor drive was installed into the engire incorrectly. If it was removed (by previous owner?) and reinstalled incorrectly you could get a weired timing as you are describing. I am not talking about the shaft on the distributor. It is a drive shaft with gear engaging with camshaft inside the distributor hole. You can see a slot from the top of the hole. If it engages with the camshaft incorrectly your distributor will have a weird timing problem.

You can undo it and correct it. The Bentley manual has a few pictures that explains how to do it. I never did it before so I am not the person to tell you exactly how it is done. I will let others to help you on this.

Once you can correctly set the timing then adjusting idle correctly will probably fix the rough idle problem for you.

Good luck.

David

____________________________________________________________________________________ Choose the right car based on your needs. Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder tool. http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/