Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Sep 2007 23:39:54 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Whoa! H6 subie & Dieselboxer

>"The first EZs put out about 214; later ones may put out a bit more, >I don't know." > >In the U.S. market, the B9 Tribeca has this motor. 3.6-liter >Delivers 256 HP and 247 lb.-ft. on Regular Gas.

Er... 3 point SIX?

>The standard, widely-used 'H' designation stands for a >'horizontally-opposed' cylinder arrangement. It does describe this exactly, >I see no vagueness there.

The first time I ever heard it was when the EZ30 was announced. While you could call a boxer-4 an H, Hs don't have three arms on each side, or one, 4 or 6 either...

> These are very common and offered by several >manufacturers from early cars to present-day.........

Yes, boxers are nothing new, I am fully cognizant of that.

>Does a 2-stroke outboard dual crank engine have horizontally-opposed >cylinders also? I've never even heard of one, let alone on a common >automotive production vehicle.

I think some boat diesels from way back (preWW2) had this sort of opposed-with-chamber-between-piston-crowns layout... could only work as a 2-stroke. I don't know about modern outboards; I would expect they'd be a square-4 design, sort of a watercooled 2-stroke version of the old Ariel bike engine. That is, with cranks parallel, set side-by-side, geared (no excuse for chains!) together, with pistons in a square layout when viewed down the barrels. You could do a six this way too (a rectangular-6, sounds pretty awkward), but cooling might become a problem; I think outboard sixes are Vs. -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut ‚ Opinions stated are mine, not of the University of Otago "There is water at the bottom of the ocean" - Talking Heads