Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Sep 2007 13:06:36 -0400
From:         "T.M." <tinkerman007@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: It's time to hit that idle Stabilizer on the head!!!
Comments: To: Jon K <jon@KENNEKE.COM>

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 09:49:42 -0700, jon <jon@KENNEKE.COM> wrote:

>I can do that...but it might take me awhile to get to it (we're talking >months here).

What, just to grab a working unit (if you have one...seems like you're stuck like me, and that's why you started the whole project in the first place...:-) and connect it to a 12VDC power supply and put a test lamp?...:-)

>You can build a simple RPM simulator with a 555 timer chip and a handful >of other parts.

Sure I could...:-) but the whole point is to reduce amount of werk with my limited time, and I was hoping no such signal is needed (someone said here it wasn't needed but I wanted to verify so I won't beat around the bush...). And you can't be sure the 555 will create the right signal for this analog computer (the hall sender doesn't crate square waves).

> It can even be variable.

Yeah, doing a wheelie with a 555 oscilator and the ISCU...

> Let me know if you want the pointer to a schematic.

Nah, that's OK, I can handle that...I simply don't want to introduce another variable into the debug session. BTW, I got me a few BD438's and will try them once I know what to expect. BTW, did you see the pictures I posted? Do you still want me to send them to you too? Cheers. TM > >Jon > >On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, T.M. wrote: > >> Volks, I repeat: I need the list's help to help me continue analyze the >> circuit. As a bare minimum, I need: >> >> >8. Now I need the list's help: I need voltage measurements from a known >> >good ISCU unit, to try and find where the problem hides. It's not very >> >difficult - all you need to do is connect a low power 12V source (wal- wart >> >seems safer than 12V from a big battery) to pins 15 & 31 as described >> >above, and tell me what you measure at all the other output pins. Also, I >> >need you to connect a low-power test light across the outputs (St1 and >> >St2) and tell me if it lights or not (it should IMO) or even a small >> >loudspeaker to know if it's a variable signal. >> >** be very careful not to short any adjacent pins so as not to cause >> >damage ** >> >> This will also enable me to know I can continue analyzing on the bench >> (without the engine RPM signal) and not inside the van which is much less >> convenient. >> Any takers?... >>