Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Sep 2007 17:20:50 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Remembering the First Bus

My first bus was also my first 4-wheeler, about beginning of 1978. It was a 57 Panel with cut-out pseudoKombi side-windows and semaphores (which of course didn't work). It had shop signwriting all over it. Stock 30hp early engine.

I used it during my last year of highschool, then took it to the other end of NZ's South Island to university. Eventually I had to repaint it (with a brush)... turquoise front half & roof; silver stripe down middle, red rear... and added a black stripe by the black later. It actually looked good from any distance. It had the usual 6V blues, so was always parked on a hill. Ditched the crossplies for 205/15 radials; what a transformation, even if they were junk like Dunlop Aquaplanes. Eventually I found a 1600 single-port & fitted this; when the oilcooler fell off (thanks for the "rebuilt" engine, Wayne Hillary) & it fried, I bought a blown dual-port 1835 & transplanted the crank & 12V bits and never looked back... with the low early gearing, its acceleration was very good, it cruised at 60mph (premetric speedo) and would hit 80 any time (for obvious reasons I didn't do this very often). I had some great times in this vehicle.

Eventually I bought a rusty 66 Kombi, sold the 1600 from it, put the 57's 1600 into it and drove that... it was a bit more civilized, especially the front swaybar (never could afford to fit a swaybar to the 57). I bought some rear seats out of town, and carried the rear one (backrest & lower) home on twisty roads on the back of my Honda CBX. Eventually I sold it, after enjoying it. No way it would be allowed on the road now... too much rust.

I sold the 57 sans engine in about 1993, which I now really regret. The guy who bought it told me he was going to restore it, so I gave him a couple of big boxes of lights & other bits & pieces... another mistake. I doubt he ever did anything with it, and wonder if it still exists somewhere.