Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Sep 2007 01:34:39 -0400
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Remembering the First Bus
Comments: To: Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz>

My first bus: Its a 1985. And what a story... I was 16, just about to turn 17. I just got my drivers licence, it was a really exciting time...all kinds of "freedom". So i'm at my friends house and its my first time there, we're walking around the house and what do i find but a silver VW bus next to the house. I can honestly say, that i had never actually seen upclose a VW bus of any generation before this experience, nor have i ever seen a vanagon (not even a picture) (or so i thought/think). Well its a long, really sad story from there, theres alot to it, i should really type it out sometime (if you guys think that would be interesting?)....but they told me it was for sale and i said "ok". I went out, got a real job that day. Worked my ass off for 3 weeks, got enough money together to pay what they wanted and approached my parents. They would not let me buy it because with 2 more years of living under their roof at this point, they thought it important to own the cars. (looking back on this, i'm glad i put up with this, they made a great decision here!) So they would not let me buy it, but offered to buy it and let me earn driving it (and learn to drive it as it was the only stick in our family). So....now my friends family has decided they will not sell it to me because they dont want to have to see it around, they're going to miss it to much. So...they put it on ebay. Well guess what....two can play at that game! Dont worry, we're still friends....but i bought it off ebay. I have never seen lying like this! I'm talking Grade A stuff! When we picked it up, i "guess" everything might have kindof worked as listed in the auction. but one month later, everything was wrong with the car and the year an a half "Restoration" (if you can call it that!) followed (failed inspection HORRIBLY). We're getting there. Its almost ready for the world. But i have learned SOOOO much through the silver piece of crap westy top transplanted ontop of a sunroof van with a crappy non-camper/partial camper interior. I know now what i want to own when i buy my first car. For me, it must be a 1985 VW Vanagon GL Wolfsburg Edition Stick Shift. If you have one, or know of one......i have very little money. Its probably not even worth telling me about it.

Someday i'll own that bus. It will be awesome. And i'll cherish it untill it eventually becomes to rusty and become lawn art. But even then.....major components will be kept and cherished for the remainder of my life (thats the goal at least). Thats right, this version of the story is lackign the moral improvements and amazing recognitions that have come as a result of this great experience. The good version can be requested, all requests will be considered.

-Craig '85GL Silver Rust bucket. Future parts bus.