Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Sep 2007 06:36:28 -0400
From:         "T.M." <tinkerman007@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: It's time to hit that idle Stabilizer on the head!!!

Hi Again,

Since I've received several pmail offers to help but only one offer was relevant, I think it better I post my instructions also on this thread so whoever comes across this and thinks he can help too can join the bandwagon...:-)

Basically, It's not very difficult - all you need to do is connect a low power 12V source to the ISCU and measure volatge at the outputs. Here is the ISCU pinout:

Pin Pin name in STAMPED wiring on ISCU diagram Pin function ----- -------- -------------

15 14 Switched +12V from ECU power relay LH 15 Power steering sensor input 31 5 Ground ST1 11 Output1 to ISV (Transistor Collector?) ST2 4 Output2 to ISV 1 17 Ignition pulses from Ignition coil driver LS 8 Throttle valve switch input T 13 Coolant temperature sensor (TEMP2) input K 2 A/C sensor input 50 6 +12V while starter is turning

The test power supply should preferably be regulated and current limited to about 1A, but a 1A wal-wart power supply will do, as long as you measure it's output to be in the range of 11-14V. My ISCU draws about 100mA at idle, with no load at he outputs, and with the lamp should consume about 600mA. **DO NOT** connect to a high-power 12V source such as the car battery(!!!) because an inadvertant short might blow something. You should connect to pins 15 & 31 of the ISCU (+12V to pin 15, -12V to pin 31. See attached image) and tell me what you measure at all the other output pins relative to ground (pin 31) and note if it's stable or not.

Then, I need you to measure the voltage differential between St1 & St2, and also to connect a low-power test light (around 5W) across them and tell me if it lights or not (it should IMO) or even connect a small loudspeaker or earphones (carefull of the volume!) to listen to these outputs and find if it's a variable signal in addition to the DC average voltage measured previously. If you can record it with your sound card and mic and send it to me, all the better...

** be very careful not to short any adjacent pins on the ISCU so as not to cause damage (I usually use insulated crocodile test clips) **

More details at: http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe? A2=ind0709a&L=vanagon&D=0&X=73B5B23C72130053E4&Y=tinkerman007@yahoo.com&P=1 5729

I also need to know your exact ISCU model. Mine is Part Number 251 907 393C, made by VDO.

Well, that's it. Not very difficult, and if you have even minimal knowledge in electronics you can help. Hope we can get this info moving soon...

Cheers, T-man.