Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Sep 2007 06:36:21 -0700
From:         Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Other VW resources - NVC
Comments: To: "Eastman, Cecil @ ELM" <Eastman.C@ATWOODMOBILE.COM>

I owned an '85 bought new, and an '88 bought in '96...two of the best cars I've ever owned. Relatively maintenance free, fun and economical. No hidden pitfalls as I recall, but NEVER run with the top down over 35 mph unless you have the top boot installed, it'll twist the top supports...hopefully this car has one. Put full synthetic oil in it and if the engine is basically sound, it'll run well for a long time. I was lucky enough not to ever have to replace the top, but I understand that these are common and and an easy replacement by any top shop.

Anthony '89 Syncro GL (Hidalgo)

"Eastman, Cecil @ ELM" <Eastman.C@ATWOODMOBILE.COM> wrote: All,

I'm considering the purchase of a 1990 Cabriolet (aka a Rabbit convertible). I've done a quick walk-around and I'll be taking the thing on a test drive tonight. Issues that I can see include minor rust spots (none have broken through as far as I can tell), front seats have very funky seat covers, probably hiding something unattractive, and top replacement (I'm assuming boot as well). Body seems straight and I don't know what may or may not be dripping from the engine because the car's sitting in grass. It needs some attention, but it sure is a cute little bugger.

2 big questions: 1. Are there any known pitfalls that I should be on the lookout for, such as the Vanagon's famous cylinder head issue? Is the motor as picky about the anti-freeze (blue vs. green)? 2. Is there an online resource, perhaps a cousin to the vanagon list, for other VW owners? I note that a lot of my favorite online stores carry Rabbit pieces, and I've already priced out some of the stuff I know I'll need.

Thanks

Cecil

--------------------------------- Moody friends. Drama queens. Your life? Nope! - their life, your story. Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.