Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Sep 2007 13:43:27 -0800
From:         Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET>
Subject:      Re: wheel size recommendation

One must also consider how and where the van will be driven. 16's with a lower profile may be close to the same overall diameter as 15's with a taller one or stock 14's with an even taller profile but is that the best choice for where you are driving. If you are always on good roads then 16's may be fine but those on rough roads, trails, etc, may find the taller sidewall on a 15 to provide a nicer ride and reduce the risk of tire or wheel damage. I plan on upgrading our Westy Syncro and maybe my Gl Syncro as well to 15's but doubt that I would ever put 16's under them. The places we take our vans are are rough enough that both for comfort and longevity of tire and rim I want that little extra bit of cushion between the road and rim. Another factor for those straying into remote or back country areas is that finding a 15" tire that would work in a pinch is going to be easier than a 16". For example the 15" tire size that I hear many people prefer on their vans is similar

to that used on Jeep Cherokees which are a dime a dozen in many places which increases the odds of being able to find a tire that you can at least drive home on if need be.

Mark in AK

----- Original Message ----- From: Todd <dermultivan@HOTMAIL.COM> Date: Thursday, September 6, 2007 11:22 am Subject: Re: wheel size recommendation To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM