Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Sep 2007 09:41:09 -0500
From:         joel walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: PHRYDAYE Rambling... oh, didn't she ramble, ramble,
              she rambled til the Navy cut 'er down ... ;)

> it's the "middle child" but I feel it is secure in it's Icon status. > So why > all the bad talk exactly? Are they really that bad?

who, perzactly, is talking bad about the bays? i've never heard it ...

oh, there are some who bad-mouth the 1968-1970 buses for their drum-drum brake system ... but all the splitties had the same system. compared to the 1971-later disc-drum system, drum-drum sucks, but they do work.

and there are some who trash the type 4/914/411-412 motor as being worse than the old beetle engine, but lemme tell ya ... it's easier to work on, in my opinion: you can replace the push rod tubes and seals without having to take the cylinder heads off! :)

and there are some who dislike the fact that vw started welding the middle panel on the rear of the bus, instead of bolts like the splitties and 1968-1971 buses, which meant you have to drop the engine to get to the oil pump and crankshaft pulley ... inconvenient, but not horrendous. just meant some more work.

but as far as 'bad', i don' think so ... i remember my three bay windows fondly. even the suckass 1973 that i picked up from a really bad DPO ... even though it had problems, it was still a good bus. i learned to dislike the dual carbs, but that's just me. :) i loved the overhead engine hatch ... saved my butt one day in a heavy rain ... hit a big puddle and steamed up the engine (from the exhaust hitting the water). engine stopped cause steam got into the distributor cap. was able to get out of the puddle by putting the bus in 1st gear and using the starter. then went back with paper towels, opened up the engine hatch and laying on the folded down rear seat, dried off the cap and wires and engine as best i could. put it back together and went forward and cranked it up and away i went. :)

i had good times in my bay windows. loved the visibility (waaaaay better than a splittie) and ride (also better) and brakes (i only had the disc front brake models. well, cept for the 68 double-cab ... but you just drove that bus like it was a jet: half-a-block-ahead vision. ;) and the sliding door. great fun. better seats. more room. what's not to like?

i personally think that if anybody is bad mouthing the bays, it's just jealousy from splittie owners (i remember that i was angry at vw in 1968 when they changed "the look"), or vanagon owners who don't know any better. it's likely that eurovan owners look down on the vanagons for not having all the nice features than the vr6 engined eurovans have. but i don't care. :) i like 'em all ... not toooo terribly crazy about the 5-cylinder eurovans, cause the vr6 made it a much more fun bus, but it's ok, too. sliding door is much better than the vanagon's, and the rear hatch is a real hoot. :)

would i have another bay window bus?

sure. but i'd have to lose some weight. i suffer from a bad case of Dunlop's Disease (my belly Dun-Lopped over my belt) so the bay window steering wheel kinda rubs my belly button and i have to suck in my gut to go around corners. ;)

unca joel