Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Sep 2007 10:01:56 -0500
From:         Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Friday Rambling( Bay Bashing)

Jeff - Actually it wasn't you're post that I was thinking of specifically - my question was for fun but was based on a long list of overheard comments, snipits from posts and articles, and other sources unremembered. I was just hoping to get a collective opinion on why that is.

As for stability - no I'm not looking forward to what you described. Also, we considered putting Vanagon seats in it too. We'll see - those front seats are definately not real comfortable - then again they are 30yrs old and well used.

On 9/7/07, Jeff Stewart <fonman4277@comcast.net> wrote: > > <So why > all the bad talk exactly? Are they really that bad?> > > Who's been Bay bashing? OK, my comment the other day (I'll never own > another one) may have taken that way. I've owned 5 Bays. I love Bays-to look > at. My comment had mainly to do with the handling. I've never owned one that > made me feel secure on the highway. Even with good shocks, reinforced > sidewall tires, etc. they all took a beating on windy days and from 18 > wheelers. Wait until you are on the highway and an 18 wheeler blows past you > at 80 mph and you feel the front end lift up and dance back and forth. Also > the comfort factor. The front seats suck. I've usually replaced the drivers > seat in my Bays with one from a Vanagon-but that also increases the seat > height an inch or so, so at 6'4" that means my head is now crammed into the > ceiling. And the room. My last Bay (a '75) had the full width bed which I > liked, but had the stove/fridge behind the passenger seat which I didn't > like. '76 and later Bays had a better layout, but lost that full width bed. > And another reason I went to Va > nagons is that in a few years I hope to semi-retire and do some serious > traveling. I want the ability to tow my motorcycle along, and I didn't think > that was practical in a Bay. So I now have a Vanagon Westy and a Subaru > engine that will be going into it sometime in October. > > <The Baywidow is the bus I fell in love with - way before I even > accidentally > owned my first Vanagon. I'm so glad to have a Baywindow in my life now as > well - even if it isn't really mine. I hope all the naysayers out there > don't turn out to be right :)> > > Nah, there's really nothing wrong with them , enjoy! Jeff >

-- Thanks,

Jeff '90 Carat (Grover) '86 (We call this one Parts) '85 GL (Preparing for reanimation) '78 Bus (Patty's Bus)