Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Sep 2007 17:21:06 -0500
From:         Chuck Mathis <cvmathis@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: blinking coolant light -- opinions on diagnosis needed

John,

Start with the cheap fixes first. If the hose between the expansion and overflow tanks is suspect replace that first - could be that the cap is functioning correctly but can't move coolant through the bad hose. Could be the cap is bad. Either of these could force coolant out. Both are inexpensive fixes. I had a badly made replacement expansion tank that would not allow the upper hose to fully seal and when the engine was warm it looked an awful lot like the tank itself was leaking. If the tank is indeed leaking there will be a significant coolant lose and the engine temp will rise quite quickly.

The coolant level sensors do go bad. If you get a new one make sure to get a fresh o-ring for it.

If your coolant is still fresh and the level is above the low mark and you have a blinking light check the little nuts that hold the temp gauge into the tach. If these are loose you will get the annoying blinking light. If you aren't positive the tank is leaking, you coolant is fresh and the level is good check this first - could solve the problem and won't cost anything but time.

Chuck '85 Wolfsburg Westy w/'95 Subaru EJ22