Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Sep 2007 15:40:24 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 50 worst cars, and the vanagon isn't one of them
Comments: To: joel walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>

Nope, I don't see Vega on their either. Further evidence it's not a very good list.

GM in particular, has made some of the cheapest and worst junk ever sold in the US. I'm appalled that they even stay in business.....and indeed they are slipping, month by month, year by year............toyota will take over soon.

Toyota will also decline somewhat......it's turning into GM and one thing that sure might hurt them is unionization of American Toyota manufacturing plants. Toyota will continue to rise, while GM sinks, while Toyota also becomes GM-ified.

Regarding short engine life, as in the Vega - the first Mazda rotary cars - same thing ....engines only lasted 30K or so. There are many cheap and terrible cars not on that list. Many of them I agree with, like the Renault Dauphine. I didn't read what the guy wrote, but a Dauphine basically can not cruise on the freeway on a hot day at any decent speed without overheating. It's fundamentally way underbuilt for our market and conditions. That is says the Lambo LM002 is 'one of the worst 50 cars of all time' ....if he wants to show how they break down a lot or whatever .....fine, but he doesn't. He's just critical of the car because it exists. He might have said '50 Worst Popular Cars' for example - that might make more sense. The list is a bit of a joke, but interesting all right.

Take his criticism of the BMW 7 series when it came out. If he wants to list '50 worst Features on cars' ............and mention the 7-series' iDrive system - yes, most definitely ! ...............but to list that car as one of the 50 worst of all time ......due that one crazy feature and the controversial styling ......sorry .......the list isn't titled correctly - it's more like a personal list of what things in various cars bug the author the most.

Scott www.turbovans.com

> Is the Vega in there?? Couldn't find it. It should be! > To this day, I can't believe Chev made, or sourced, that failure of > an > engine with its' piston/rings scraping away on aluminum cylinder > walls. > How could they do that? Surely they must have known.

they knew. they just didn't care.

the air filter on the vega was $40 back then. you replaced the ENTIRE metal air cleaner, not just a paper element. the whole thing was a sealed unit... into the trash.

it had metric AND sae nuts and bolts all over the engine.

the interior panels were plastic, and the holes/slots for door handles and window cranks were cut out jaggedly, as if by hacksaw.

and the killer was, my mother bought one (against my advice), and it lasted about 30,000 miles ... but beyond the warranty! ... when the front lower a-arm fell off the car as she was backing out of a neighbor's driveway.

it wasn't just a failure, it was a disaster!!

and nobody sued GM, like they did with ford and the pinto. wonder why?

OVC: my vanagons NEVER had those problems!!! i've never even heard of a vanagon lower (or upper!) a-arm falling off. :)

unca joel