Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:45:28 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: 50 worst cars, and the vanagon isn't one of them

>People keep bringing up how vanagons aren't on this list. I mean, of >course they're not, right? >The major design flaw of the vanagons is the head gaskets, and still >many go 100k or even 200k between gasket jobs. Other than that, many >aspects of the vanagon seem very well designed. It's an incredibly >functional vehicle, whether comfortably hauling 7 passengers or camping >equipment, that gets relatively good gas mileage (decent even by today's >standards), and is relatively easy for a backyard mechanic to work on. >Did I mention it looks cool?

A bad car can also be a nice car. My 1988 Nissan Skyline R31 2.8 diesel hardtop was a nice car. It was very solid, it looked really good, it handled OK (but no better than OK; its IRS helped, I guess, though there are IRS cars that don't handle), it was comfortable, it had all the electric doodads except aircon (though there was an aircon label in the dash!). Its H4s were brilliant; no hotspots or holes, wide and penetrating. Automatic lights were a real eyeopener, and this was a 1984-88 model. It was smooth, roomy and quiet. But it suffered from progressive electrical failures ie idiot-lights failinbg and not being able to be diagnosed, ditto the interior light doorswitch circuit. The Hitachi alternator was notorious for failure leading to overcharged batteries. Typically for the RD28, the engine failed big time (bores & mainbearings) despite the car having only a genuine 80,000km on the clock when things really became noticable and despite regular maintenence. Also on gravel roads the complex doorseals let in copious amounts of dust. And when the seam along the top of the exhaust rusted through (the rest of the pipe was solid) the excessively-sooty exhaust made its way into the interior, staining everything gray. A nice car but not a good one.

A reliable car can also be an awful car. The 19702/80s Nissan Bluebirds (also sold as 810, 180B, 200B, Stanza in some markets) and Sunnys (1200, 120Y, B210 etc) were dogs. Some RWD Bluebird generations had IRS but all handled like crap. They could be rust-prone, even without salted roads. They were flimsy in a serious way. They also looked bad. That they were reliable was probably a handicap, as owners would keep them far too long. Volvos also fall into this category. reliable but handle they don't; even today's Volvos don't.

>How could the best-selling passenger vehicle in America 14 years running, >the mother of all mom-mobiles, the beloved suburban schlepper of millions, >wind up on this list? Forget about the whole Firestone tire controversy. In >its very success, the Ford Explorer is responsible for setting this country >on the spiral of vehicular obesity that we are still contending with today. >People, particularly women drivers, discovered that they liked sitting up >high. Even though more fuel-efficient minivans do the kid- and cargo-hauling >duties better, people came to prefer the outdoorsy, go-anywhere image of >SUVs. In other words, people became addicted to the pose. And, as vehicles >got bigger and heavier, buyers sought out even bigger vehicles to make >themselves feel safe. Helloooo Hummer. All of that we can lay at the >overachieving feet of the Explorer.

Only in America. The Exploder is the only US Frod whiteware to be sold here, fortunately. And it just can't compete with the Japanese wagons. BUT those Japanese wagons are as big as or bigger than the Exploder; though they might not roll over the way a US car will, they are still huge gas (or more commonly diesel) suckers and not as safe to be in when you have an accident as a sedan (the current Nissan Safari, which by the way is rare here and in Africa, does nasties when it hits other heavy objects like cars... the chassis BREAKS and the clutch pedal winds-up right where the driver's crotch is supposed to be). The tires on these vehicles have compromise tread which cannot give a high constant lateral-acceleration grip (so-called "g-force), though "Wheels" was surprised to get a very high reading from Prado earlier this year, despite their slamming it for poor handling). I have experienced dual-purpose tires on a Cruiser wagon which would let go at the back under hard cornering; the better ones will let you know what's happening so that you can compensate; the poorer ones will just let go and you'll spin.

The VW T3 had a good body and suspension combined with crap (Bosch, close cousin of Lucas) electrics, flimsy unergonomic switchgear, inadequate brakes and fragile engine & manual transmissions. Fortunately the body is robust and reasonably rust-resistant and the bad components CAN be eliminated by replacement with alternative items. It handles, and can be made to handle extremely well.

To be truly good a car has to have a reasonable mix of both niceness and reliability. And did I mention handling? Poor handling can kill you. The T3 doesn't not really have this mix as standard, but certainly can be brought up-to-scratch.

There is a glossy magazine published every year in NZ, called "The Dog & Lemon Guide". Like the others, it's a mass of unrealistic opinions of one person, and really is only good for a laugh. Unfortunately the people who buy it believe it and are likely to be influenced by it. The fellow even gets bite on TV news.

>Re Vanagons not being on the list. >You might notice there are no cars or vans mentioned...the list is for CARS.

"Car" is short for "carriage". It is conventionally used for sedans, coupes and stationwagons, but in fact can be applied to any wheeled ground-vehicle. Including a 24-wheeler. And in fct today there is nowhere you can draw a line and say that on this side are cars only and on this side are vans only. There is a full range of transitional models. -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut ‚ Opinions stated are mine, not of the University of Otago "There is water at the bottom of the ocean" - Talking Heads