Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Sep 2007 22:53:37 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: cracked AMC heads question
Comments: To: Chris Lisica <wavanagon@GMAIL.COM>

It's really a question how well you want to rebuild your engine. A crack between the valves may be fine for a while but eventually the head will fall apart. You will have to take it apart again to deal with it eventually.

If you want the engine back to what it was but with no crack on the head to worry about then buy a used one that has no crack and no damaged valves and valve seats. Just do a valve job and put the engine back together. This may last a long time and the engine performance will reflect its mileage.

But if you really want your engine rebuilt back to top performance the best strategy is to spend for a pair of new heads. Replace the piston/cylinder liners as well. If everything is done properly the engine will perform well over another 100k without giving you performance issues.

I just had my 1.9 engine rebuilt. I put in a new set of liners only because the heads were replaced 20k miles ago by a VW dealer under warranty. I first thought the heads were rebuilt. But I found out that the heads were actually new VW heads. After 3k miles of break-in I am extremely happy with the result of the rebuild. The engine is totally cool now. I am glad that I had the new liners in it.

An 87 Westy is worth a full restore if I were you. Good luck.

David

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out. http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545469