Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Sep 2007 10:50:27 -0400
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: cracked AMC heads question
Comments: To: dylan friedman <insyncro@YAHOO.COM>

I have sold many, many AMC heads with the valves that come with them over the years. I have also installed many of them for customers. Maybe there was a problem several years ago with the valves, but I have never had a problem with the stock valves that come with the heads. If the other suppliers were telling the full story they would tell you that they are taking out valves that they say have quality issues only to put back in valves that are not OE anyway (so who really knows how much better quality of a valve that they are?). The OE valves are so expensive that you couldn't use them and still sell the heads for what these folks are selling them for. So to me it is one of those "You should buy it from me because everyone else is selling crap" stories that is mostly smoke and mirrors. Now if they were putting in OE valves I would have no problem with them decrying the quality of the valves that come in the AMC heads and charging a premium for changing the valves. If they aren't doing that I feel that this is just a marketing ploy to add value to a product just because it came from a certain store when in fact everyone else is selling a similar product for a cheaper price. The place out West sells many unique and cool products that only they have and that is good. However just because you paid extra for a head at this Western store (or any other vendor) doesn't necessarily mean that it is better. Even when you have pictures and a nice technical story to go with it.

Just my opinion, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com