Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Sep 2007 08:02:57 -0700
From:         Mark Keller <kelphoto@TELUS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Carbon Fiber Top
Comments: To: Jim Arnott <jrasite@eoni.com>

Using an autoclave is only to enhance a cure properties which is needed in this this application. The resins I mentioned Cure in average temperatures. Pardon me for this, but it's "ultimate thinking" that seems to dump onto innocent Vanagon mods.. These are workhorse utility vehicles that are best modified with simple executable ideas. For this purpose, either a cosmetic skin, if the guy wants the look, put on a layer of CF and wet it out. Why break his back or piece of mind with big procedure. For the DIY topper, they don't "autoclave" boats or anything else in this size for mass public consumption. Today's vessels and like parts are vacuum bagged, but not all,--but the driving motive is reduction of styrene exposure to workers and emissions.

Another fact: bagging and autoclave require panels to be built with extra material to insure stiffness, since thinner, and yes stronger/ lighter panels, carry the undesirable feature of being flexible. Stiffness in panels is expressed 2x Thickness = Stiffness Cubed or 8x stiffer for every doubling of thickness, which means that thinner panels become 8x more flexible for every halving of thickness.

So I left the autoclave out of this one. If a person wants the vacuum bag route, be prepared to Not notice the difference in service in this application. 90 ft sq of wet out would be for the 4 layers would be just ten gallons of resin. This would likely be in the 60 percent glass and 40 percent resin ratio using a hand layup. If that were bagged, you could see 70 percent glass and 30 percent resin. so about 100 ounces, say gallon less resin. The part would 8 lbs lighter. Cost more though and take more time. Bagging will leave a slightly smoother finish on the surface. A air pressure vacuum can be purchase for $100. It uses a venturi and is used occasionally in the shop where I train. Otherwise, this time and cost to bag is a wash to just sand and fair one extra time, that the bag saves.

Mark