Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Sep 2007 10:04:44 -0400
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Not running right
Comments: To: Ccsvanagon@WMCONNECT.COM

Chris, It sounds like you need some troubleshooting work done and your mechanic can do this if he has the Bentley manual (big green one). First of all it sounds like you had an idle issue before the A/C repair and the A/C repair is making it worse. The first thing I would check is the throttle position switch. This needs to be working and adjusted properly (Bentley). If that doesn't fix it then check the Temp II sensor (Bentley). If that doesn't fix it then check grounds. I would also be sure that your timing is right. I usually time my engines to 7-10 BTDC. You can do this without unhooking anything (ignore the instructions in the Bentley that talk about having the engine at 1500 rpms and unhooking the temp II, these instructions only apply if you are using a VW special tool that not even the dealers have any more).

If you get these base things right and you are still having problems then the problem may lie with the idle control unit or the Idle stabilizer unit. These units are expensive new so it is better to start with the cheap/free things first.

Hope this helps, Ken Wilford John 3:16