Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Sep 2007 02:51:02 -0400
From:         Bill Glenn <idahobill@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Go Westy Fridge update kit
Comments: To: Troy Delnicki <colorworks@GCI.NET>

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 17:37:31 -0800, Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET> wrote:

>http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3621 > >Anyone tried this kit? Does it work or just a way to waste your money? > >Troy

My Dometic fridge, with electronic gas ignition, would not light on propane. Last winter, I removed it, built a test stand on which to place it, and diagnosed a non-working ignitor, which I ordered from GoWesty (NLA from Dometic). I also ordered and installed the FRIDGE UPDATE KIT about which you ask. When doing so, I discovered that the original check valve would not admit any compressed air from the pump, so the GoWesty kit provided the necessary fix with it's new check valve, and the pump modification seemed appropriate.

While the fridge was out of the van, I also cleaned the fresh air intake, flue, and combustion chamber, checked the flame with the combustion chamber open, re-sealed the combustion chamber, bedded the thermo switch for the condenser fan in thermal putty, and confirmed operation of the condenser fan, using a heat gun to trigger the thermo switch. Upon completion of this work, I tested the fridge on the test stand in all three modes, 12 volt, 120 volt, and propane. Each mode produced sub-freezing temperatures, but the ambient temperature in my shop at the time was 50F.

In use this summer, the fridge has maintained the 45 degree differential that everyone hopes for, sometimes 50 degrees (plenty of thermal mass in the fridge, which slows the temperature rise inside the fridge as ambient air temperature increases outside). On the few occasions during propane operation when the flame has gone out, if the van is stationary I can hear the electronic ignitor attempting to relight the gas; I only need to press and hold the thermocouple override button, and ignition often occurs without even pumping (the flue still warm, the intake/exhaust convection cycle not yet interrupted), but if needed, two or three pumps results in ignition.

Please remember that on units that do not have the electronic ignition, the peizo-electric spark for ignition is actuated at the end of the pump stroke, so more pumping may be needed to provide a spark at the right time, independent of the need to supply air to the combustion chamber.

Bill